1. After several years of fun and mayhem, TSDF has closed permanently. For members, this remains a place to reminisce at old discussions and laugh at old shenanigans. For new friends who just found us, it can be an archive of reference to help you navigate your way through the TWD shows and Comics. We wish you well!

Virginia - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Robb Black, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Robb Black

Robb Black Content Manager | Spoiler Team Spoiler Team Content Manager Donor
    Fear TWD Filming Tracker

(SPOILERS) Fear the Walking Dead Q&A — Colby Minifie (Virginia)

Posted by Shavonne Bell

1 day ago

[​IMG]
    Colby Minifie, who plays Virgina on AMC’s Fear the Walking Dead, talks about Virginia’s utilitarian philosophy and playing a “bad ass who uses flowery language.”

Q: Virginia makes quite an entrance, what’s it like playing such a distinct character?

A: So damn fun! I love playing Virginia. It’s just a delight to play a bad ass who uses flowery language. She has a deep well of history for me to imagine. The exploration never stops with a character like her.

Q: What about playing Virginia particularly appealed to you?

A: Riding up on a horse with an army and having seven and a half pages of dialogue the first day? Total joy. I really had no idea what I was stepping into when I flew down to Austin. I knew the show was a huge success and people loved it, but all I knew about Virginia was I was riding a horse and wearing a hat. And honestly? Riding a horse and wearing a hat is enough to get me on board — and having the opportunity to be up close and personal with some walkers.

Q: Virginia immediately butts heads with Morgan (Lennie James) and the rest of the group. Is it tough to come onto set and immediately set up as an antagonistic presence?

A: No, not really. I tend to play a lot of antagonistic characters for some reason and it’s always so fun, especially when the cast is as great as the actors on this show. I’m lucky that in addition to being some of the most welcoming people ever, none of the actors brought the on-screen relationships off-screen. So in between takes, we are back to goofing off and making each other laugh. It’s also helpful to have a clear antagonistic position when coming onto a big show like Fear. It was like 24-hours between finding out about getting the part and traveling to Austin, which was overwhelming. The relationships in this show are complex and it’s a bit of a shock to just dive into that pool. So, knowing I was the antagonist of the moment was a super helpful anchor.

Q: Virginia is trying to build something bigger and better amidst an apocalypse. What does it say about her as a visionary and leader?

A: Virginia is just trying to help as many people as she possibly can. She wants to rebuild a sense of community, structure and cooperation in a world imploded by chaos. She has an incredible imagination to be able to pull off what she has accomplished when we meet her in Episode 513… she has a large number of people who support her… She believes they need a leader that everyone can rally around to keep the community from crumbling. And she is damn good at what she does. Yeah, she loves it up there at the top of the pecking order.

Q: How does she justify her methods in order to achieve her vision?

A: In the end, Virginia is a utilitarian. She only cares that the most number of people survive and thrive under her leadership. Before the apocalypse, she was an efficiency expert. She was hired to assess what was redundant in a company and eliminate jobs that weren’t necessary. She does the same thing post-apocalypse, but “elimination” means something a little different… She is really good at finding what someone has to offer to benefit the whole community… She comes from a corporate climate where there is a clear chain of command — and in this world, she is the CEO.

Q: Does she truly see something in Morgan and the others or is it more of a numbers game?

A: I mean, part of it is definitely a numbers game. Virginia wants to have as many people in her jurisdiction as possible: the more people, the more skills they have to share, the stronger the community, the more they can grow it into a world that looks like what they used to enjoy. Morgan’s team… each have a skill that is vital to her community. June is a super talented nurse, Dorie and Alicia are skilled walker killers, Sarah and Wendell have trucking experience, and the list goes on. The whole group is also inclined to help others, which is hard to find in the apocalypse and useful to any community. The bottom line is, Morgan’s party has survived for a long time out on the road, which is impressive, and Virginia has a hard time knowing any group of survivors is out there and not part of her team — especially such a skilled and talented squad.

Q: You looked very natural on that horse. Had you ridden before?

A: Ha! Either you are very kindfor saying that or that’s a joke. I’m born and raised in New York City, so the only horses I came into contact with were pulling carriages. My cousins had horses in Massachusetts and my sister and I would ride them for hours when we were visiting as kids, but it had been something like sixteen years since I’d been on a horse and suddenly I was loping into a quarry filled with walkers and four cameras. I’ve never felt more powerful. I loved it, but I had a lot of help. Boom, my trusty steed, is an old pro, so I didn’t have to worry about him bucking or wandering off in the middle of the scene. And I had Anna Scott, the most bad ass stunt double I’ve ever met, making me look real good. I was also surrounded by a team of rodeo riders who were so comfortable around horses, I wanted to ride off into the sunset with them. Honestly, I had been keen to get back on a horse for a while. Every time I met one in the past two years I felt happy. So, I’m super grateful to Fear for getting me back in the saddle again.

Q: She has quite the get up. What did you think of her outfit?

A: Loved it! I think [Costumer Designer] Jo [Katsaras] did such a stellar job with Virginia and her army. Between costumes, props and artillery, Jo, [Props Master] Colin [Thurston] and [Weapons Coordinator] Eddie [Grisco] harnessed a combination of colonial and pioneer styles that carries with it a heavy history. I think it’s so effective because it’s a look that viewers will have an immediate reaction to. Virginia’s outfit warns what she is about before she even opens her mouth. I always feel lost until the costume fitting and this part in particular came into focus after I met with Jo and Colin. The costume, the key motif, the hat, the horse, the Tommy gun… all tell a strong story. I didn’t have to do much.

Fear the Walking Dead airs Sundays at 9/8c on AMC. Available 48 hours early, ad-free, for AMC Premiere subscribers.

2. Robb Black

Fear TWD Filming Tracker

Fear the Walking Dead Star Colby Minifie Reveals Backstory Behind New Villain Virginia
    By CAMERON BONOMOLO - September 16, 2019 07:55 pm EDT

Fear the Walking Dead new addition Colby Minifie (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, The Boys) reveals a peek into the backstory of Virginia, a.k.a “Ginny,” the leader of the Pioneers who established herself as a clear danger when she ordered the murders of Logan (Matt Frewer) and his crew before threatening the lives of John (Garret Dillahunt), June (Jenna Elfman) and the rest of their convoy. The survivors were only spared when Luciana (Danay García) offered to produce the fuel Virginia’s seemingly expansive operation desperately requires to enact their grand plans — ambitions that may or may not be connected to the shadowy CRM organization behind mysterious abductions.

“Virginia is a utilitarian. She only cares that the most number of people survive and thrive under her leadership. Before the apocalypse, she was an efficiency expert,” Minifie shared with the AMC blog. “She was hired to assess what was redundant in a company and eliminate jobs that weren’t necessary. She does the same thing post-apocalypse, but ‘elimination’ means something a little different… She is really good at finding what someone has to offer to benefit the whole community… She comes from a corporate climate where there is a clear chain of command — and in this world, she is the CEO.”

Virginia has already eliminated Logan — calling him and his crew “non-essentials” — and she’s since attempted to broker a deal with Morgan (Lennie James) and Al (Maggie Grace), who turned down her offer for partnership. Their reasoning was simple: the Pioneers kill, and Morgan’s crew doesn’t.

[​IMG]
    (Photo: Van Redin/AMC)
    Despite these differences in philosophies, the seemingly affable Virginia insists their goals are the same.

“Virginia is just trying to help as many people as she possibly can. She wants to rebuild a sense of community, structure and cooperation in a world imploded by chaos. She has an incredible imagination to be able to pull off what she has accomplished when we meet her in Episode 513,” Minifie said. “She has a large number of people who support her… She believes they need a leader that everyone can rally around to keep the community from crumbling. And she is damn good at what she does. Yeah, she loves it up there at the top of the pecking order.”

That pecking order is one Virginia hopes to grow with the addition of Morgan and his people.

“Virginia wants to have as many people in her jurisdiction as possible: the more people, the more skills they have to share, the stronger the community, the more they can grow it into a world that looks like what they used to enjoy,” Minifie explained. “Morgan’s team… each have a skill that is vital to her community. June is a super talented nurse, Dorie and Alicia are skilled walker killers, Sarah and Wendell have trucking experience, and the list goes on. The whole group is also inclined to help others, which is hard to find in the apocalypse and useful to any community. The bottom line is, Morgan’s party has survived for a long time out on the road, which is impressive, and Virginia has a hard time knowing any group of survivors is out there and not part of her team — especially such a skilled and talented squad.”

Playing Virginia, who next causes more trouble for the survivors in the penultimate episode of Season 5, is “so damn fun,” Minifie said. “I love playing Virginia. It’s just a delight to play a bad ass who uses flowery language. She has a deep well of history for me to imagine. The exploration never stops with a character like her.”

3. Robb Black

Fear TWD Filming Tracker

INTERVIEW: FEAR THE WALKING DEAD’S COLBY MINIFIE
    SEPTEMBER 23, 2019JULIAN 0 COMMENTS
    [​IMG]

Colby Minifie is known for her roles on Marvel’s Jessica Jones, Amazon’s The Boys, Glee, and The Blacklist and now she is the leader of her group of horseback riders named Virginia on Fear The Walking Dead. She has so far wanted to help Morgan’s group and at the same time, had former members of her group go against her. With the season finale coming up for Fear, I got the chance to interview Colby Minifie as we talked about her role on the show and what can we expect from her in the future.

You are now on Fear The Walking Dead as Virginia. How did you react when you got the role?

Colby: I screamed of course. I officially booked it on the last day of an indie movie I was shooting and about 12 hours later I was on a plane to Austin for FEAR. So, yeah, it was a whirlwind, but the best kind of whirlwind. There’s a certain energy that kicks in at moments like that because everything you love is happening at the same time.

[​IMG]
    Colby Minifie as Virginia – Fear the Walking Dead _ Season 5, Episode 13 – Photo Credit: Van Redin/AMC

Have you done horseback riding before you got your role, or did you already knew how to ride horses?

Colby: I rode horses as a kid with my cousins. I remember flying off a loping horse once. But I hadn’t been on a horse in over a decade when I had to ride in as Virginia. Boom, my trusty steed, is a total pro so it was a breeze.

Virginia told Dwight that she knows that his wife is still alive. Will we find out if that is true within the next few episodes?
    Colby: That’s super duper secret.

Will we find out more of how Virginia formed her group?
    Colby: That’s also super secret but I’m gonna say yes!

What was it like to work with Lennie James and Karen David on the episode? and why should Morgan and everyone else give Virginia their full trust knowing that she has killed Logan and had some of her members run away from her?

Colby: Lennie was so wonderful. Acting with him made me a better actor in many ways. Some of the scenes we have together were very emotional for me and when I looked in his eyes I always felt safe. I didn’t get to work with Karen very much on this episode but she’s a total sweetheart! And Virginia wants to help as many people as she can. But she’s also a utilitarian, so if a few people have to die for everyone else to survive and thrive, she is willing to make that sacrifice.

[​IMG]
    Colby Minifie as Virginia, Beau Smith as Dom – Fear the Walking Dead _ Season 5, Episode 15 – Photo Credit: Van Redin/AMC
    Were there any other costume ideas that were discussed before you got the cowgirl costume?

Colby: Not that I know of. Luckily, when Ian and Andrew described the character to me, I pictured something not too far from the final look that Jo Katsaras (Costume Designer) came up with. The pioneer/colonial style has a lot of history to it, which meant I could rely on the look to tell a lot of Virginia’s story. I felt so cool in that outfit.

Any funny stories working with the cast on this episode (5×14).
    Colby: I hadn’t had sugar in 2 months before I did this episode and all of a sudden I was eating jam. It was so delicious and I kept sneaking more finger-fulls throughout the scene so I could have more. And then the sugar high hit and I got giddy.

We are close to the season finale. Without giving too much away, what can we expect from you on that episode coming up?
    Colby: All I can say is it’s gonna be BIG. Virginia is a strong woman and will do anything to get her way.

Fear The Walking Dead airs every Sunday at 9:00 PM EST on AMC.

I will be livetweeting from The Walking Dead panel at New York Comic Con next week. Follow me on Instagram and Twitter @julianexcalibur for more content. Contact me at julian@alternativemindz.com.

4. Michaeldisco

Michaeldisco Hammer Wielder

Saying the finale is gonna be big implies a death. It’s too early to kill Ginny imo, but I think she’s gonna kill someone that she deems non-essential, or maybe even kick out a big portion of the group and force the others to stay.

Mtricky, Walker_Waster and Robb Black like this.
  5. Pape

Pape The Soulmate Donor

Virginia reminds me of the camp counselors in the Adams family 2 ... I wish that Wednesday Adams would show up to roast her on a spit over open flames... Be a good way to end that storyline... Very satisfying

Mtricky and Coltpython357 like this.
  6. matt93

matt93 Tank Driver Donor

Evil Sandy Cheeks. She isn't even remotely intimidating lol

Mtricky, Coltpython357 and Pape like this.
  7. Coltpython357

Coltpython357 Midnight toker Donor

Was that you that mentioned Proctor John and his group should come in and wipe Ginny and her group out lol? I don't know if it was you but I would cheer that scene.

Mtricky likes this.
  8. matt93

matt93 Tank Driver Donor

It wasn't me but I'm totally for that idea like omg lol. It would at least temporarily make Fear must-watch television again :P

Although realistically under C&G they'd probably be Gimplespeaking (aka pseudo-philosophizing and monologuing) while taking Ginny's crew out. So I dunno if it'd really be worth it at the end of the day.

Coltpython357 likes this.
  9. blue-monday

blue-monday Stupid is as stupid does Jared Donor

All I gotta do is compare what's going on in @Robb Black's signature to whatever Ginny does on screen to measure whether she actually rises to the level of a legit intimidating character.

Robb Black, Pape and Mtricky like this.