1. After several years of fun and mayhem, TSDF has closed permanently. For members, this remains a place to reminisce at old discussions and laugh at old shenanigans. For new friends who just found us, it can be an archive of reference to help you navigate your way through the TWD shows and Comics. We wish you well!

Article The Walking Dead Movie Won't Be In Theaters

Discussion in 'General Movies Discussion' started by LovelyLucille, Apr 29, 2020.

1. LovelyLucille

LovelyLucille Bowman

2. Colton Gilcrease

Colton Gilcrease Ass-Kicker

Even if Universal & the theaters weren't feuding, I know for a fact that The Walking Dead movie wasn't going to get a wide-release anyways (limited release, sure, but this dispute would barely affect that). The Breaking Bad movie had a limited release, and Breaking Bad's popularity has soured over the years, whereas Walking Dead's has fallen. If the Walking Dead was wide-released, it would bomb & lose Universal a lot of money (releasing a film wide costs A LOT of money). How many people do you know would spend $10 to $20 on a movie ticket to see a long episode of the Walking Dead in the year 2021 or 2022? The answer to that questions is "Not many".

I think this dispute is going to have a big impact on actual huge blockbuster Universal films like Halloween, F9, Jurassic World, etc., if an agreement can't be made in the coming months.

3. BloodyScreaminBanshee

BloodyScreaminBanshee Merle's Prom Date and Gimple's Fan Club President Donor

Hopefully they will work it out. I'm not giving up my dream of seeing Rick Grimes on the big screen!

4. LovelyLucille

LovelyLucille Bowman

I agree with you big time. I don't even know why they changed it to theaters after announcing it would be just an AMC kinda film thing. Money?

ysolde, utgard14, GrumpyReba and 4 others like this.
  5. xyzw1234

xyzw1234 Hammer Wielder

ysolde, utgard14, GrumpyReba and 5 others like this.
  6. SantaRick

SantaRick Bowman

I’m lowkey glad. I just want them to release it on TV.

7. Mtricky

Mtricky Ringleader Donor

Crappers...Not that I need to see it in a theater. I'd be happy just watching it from my sofa:popcorn:

8. matt93

matt93 Tank Driver Donor

I mean assuming the movie ever gets made in the first place we were bound to get an announcement of it turning into a TV movie eventually anyway.

This is just super convenient for AMC and allows them to avoid the embarrassment that they otherwise would’ve had to face head-on lol

magsgreen, ysolde, Mtricky and 6 others like this.
  9. xyzw1234

xyzw1234 Hammer Wielder

It's indeed the perfect opportunity for them to 'back down' while being able to point fingers at someone/something else. Super convenient indeed.

ysolde, Mtricky, utgard14 and 6 others like this.
  10. TWDHatty

TWDHatty Bowman

Needs to be a TV movie series like originally announced in 2018. If they can have 48 weeks (42? 40 something...) of episodes a year, and add a third show, then they can do the Rick trilogy on tv. I know it isn’t quite that simple, as they have the deal with Universal. But airing before/after a season premiere or finale would have the fan base’s attention. I would’ve e went to see the movie in theaters, even though that’s a wild idea because the show is not hot like it was 4-5 years ago. If it was still 2016, it’d be a huge draw. Now, in theaters? Nah. It’d make money if you count internationally, but not a box office smash

11. matt93

matt93 Tank Driver Donor

AMC is still risking a ton even with a TV movie, primarily because nowhere near enough remaining fans are truly invested in the world-building aspect that AMC and Gimple are so desperately trying to shove in everyone’s faces. We only care about our Team Family.

I still believe that the easiest and most majority-pleasing option is to just make the CRM threat the core plot of Season 12 or 11B (with Rick returning for a few episodes and then finally dying).

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    ysolde, xyzw1234, Niolle and 3 others like this.
  12. TWDHatty

TWDHatty Bowman

I’m not opposed to Rick just coming back for a final season. And yes, the whole thing is a risk for sure. The movies, in whatever format they end up being, needs to be the conclusion of the whole franchise

13. matt93

matt93 Tank Driver Donor

They have absolutely no end date in sight for the show and they won’t until they’re on the verge of either getting sold or declaring bankruptcy. They also know full well two other things: that they need to give people closure with Rick ASAP and that they’ll only get one TV movie (which also needs to come out ASAP while there’s still even a sliver of interest left with the tiny-and-getting-even-tinier fraction of the audience that actually cares about the world-building).

Just deal with CRM on the main show in Season 11 or very early Season 12, give fans closure with Rick that ends in his death and then move on. It’s the easiest and (ultimately) least risky option they have.

GrumpyReba likes this.
  14. TWDHatty

TWDHatty Bowman

I still hold on to hope that the Commonwealth is the Portland community. It’s likely not, I know. Truly don’t know what else they can do after the commonwealth and CRM stuff concludes. And the thing is, if the main show does go past the CW, they won’t even give the series a rest for awhile, they’ll just continue every October like usual. Huge mistake.

GrumpyReba likes this.
  15. TeddyWestside

TeddyWestside Scott is Endgame. Donor

Just some threats if you ask me. No way AMC Theaters and Regal want to lose movies like Fast 9, Jurassic World 3 and No Time To Die. Like the article said, it's a lose lose situations.

But even IF it happens, Universal would probably just put the movies on their upcoming streaming service, Peacock.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Mtricky likes this.
  16. Enchanting

Enchanting Hunter

I mean the movie probably would've flopped in theaters anyway if the show's ratings are anything to go by. Still not convinced that the movie will ever come to fruition though...

GrumpyReba and utgard14 like this.
  17. xyzw1234

xyzw1234 Hammer Wielder

They're already risking a ton and likely screwed anyway regardless of strategy, given that the franchise is heading downwards. Again by now this is a 'hail Mary' move (though it might not have started that way).

You've pretty much summed it up. While anything can happen, the chances of it being more than a modest success (as in recouping its budget and making a bit of $$$) are infinitesimal, and frankly I don't see it 'reviving' the TWD franchise given the number of other factors leading to the latter's current state.

I wouldn't be so sure they know, or even care, given that they're essentially using Rick as audience-bait.

If they wanted to give fans closure, they would have killed Rick at the bridge in s9.

GrumpyReba, Inessence4 and TWDHatty like this.
  18. utgard14

utgard14 Bowman

They’re taking a hardline approach because it means the end of them if other studios start doing VOD for brand new releases. The theater chains can’t compete with that and they know it.

As for the movies, I’ll be shocked if any get made. But if one does, and they bring Rick back just to kill him off as @matt93 suggests, Benioff and Weiss will owe a huge debt of gratitude to Gimple and Kang for taking their place as the worst showrunners in television history.

GrumpyReba and xyzw1234 like this.
  19. xyzw1234

xyzw1234 Hammer Wielder

Again I doubt they will kill Rick off give that he's essentially the 'bait' to hook remaining viewers now (don't know how else to describe it, I'm bad with words).

Also not exactly relevant to this thread, but Kang doesn't even come close to Dumb and Dumber, who in turn aren't as bad as Gimple, the latter of which is probably the worst showrunner of at least the 2010s when it comes to damage caused.

Mtricky and GrumpyReba like this.
  20. TeddyWestside

TeddyWestside Scott is Endgame. Donor

Its really because of the current state that we live in, with the whole lock down. I get its unfortunate for theater chains but still. They already said that they are willing to sit down with Universal.

AMC just want their cut of the cake.

Mtricky likes this.