1. After several years of fun and mayhem, TSDF has closed permanently. For members, this remains a place to reminisce at old discussions and laugh at old shenanigans. For new friends who just found us, it can be an archive of reference to help you navigate your way through the TWD shows and Comics. We wish you well!

Greg Nicotero on The Walking Dead Delay and how the pause could help the Rick Movie

Discussion in 'General Movies Discussion' started by TeddyWestside, May 8, 2020.

1. TeddyWestside

TeddyWestside Scott is Endgame. Donor

Back on April 5, AMC aired "The Tower," the penultimate episode of The Walking Dead's 10th season, leaving fans with their breath thouroughly bated as Beta led the horde to the holed-up Alexandrians, with no resolution in sight — what with the coronavirus delaying the finale until later this year. But while there's still no date set for that well-teed-up "special episode" finale, the episode's director, Greg Nicotero, tells us just how close they had gotten to the finish line before pushing things back.

“You know, it wasn’t even really a push as much as… traditionally speaking you end up delivering the final episodes a couple of weeks before the episode airs. You gotta do sound, you gotta do quality checks, you gotta do sound effects and music and visual effects and color timing. There’s a lot of things that happen sort of like right at the last two to three weeks before the episode airs," Nicotero told SYFY WIRE recently while discussing the home entertainment release of Creepshow Season 1 (aka the celebrated creator's other huge job). "So we we’re literally days away from finishing the episode when we had to sort of make sure everybody that was working was safe, so we had to kind of slow that stuff down."

We get it: safety first. Plus, it sounds like this might also be a case of good things coming to those who wait. Last week, we heard star Jeffrey Dean Morgan tease the finale as a mini-Walking Dead movie of sorts. And now Nicotero's take only adds to that tease: "Listen, the episode’s fantastic, wraps up a lot of great stuff from the season, and sets us up perfectly for next season. Corey Reed who wrote the script did a great job, and all the actors and everybody, so it’ll be exciting times when people get the chance to see it.”

[​IMG]
    Photo Credit: Jace Downs/AMC

While the pandemic has wreaked havoc on TV production (and so much else), Nicotero tells us the time could prove useful for TWD exec/writer Scott Gimple and the shaping of The Walking Dead's movie universe. The first film is set to follow what happened to Andrew Lincoln's Rick Grimes after his small screen exit.

“From what I understand from Mr. Gimple, the script is well underway. I’ve looked at a couple of early drafts, but I haven’t seen anything lately, but from what I understand they’re digging away at it. One thing about this kind of situation is people that work at home… you know, writers… they’re able to take advantage of this time, and it’s a good time," Nicotero said.

“I have a feeling that when people push the play button again, there’s going to be a lot of material that’s going to be ready to go, because everyone’s getting scripts, and getting stuff just right to the point where they can get it ready before you start shooting. I think there’s going to be a lot of busy people, hopefully… hopefully in a few weeks?”

We hope so too, oh wise one. Alas, this phone call was a few weeks ago.

Just the same, there's still every hope that the The Walking Dead Season 10 finale will air later this year, and yesterday we learned the show's new spinoff series, World Beyond, is looking to premiere on AMC this fall, while Season 6 of Fear the Walking Dead is expected to air later this year as well. And Season 1 of Nicotero's Creepshow is available now on Shudder and AMC, or May 19 on Digital HD, DVD, and Blu-ray.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/greg-nicotero-the-walking-dead-finale-delay-movie

2. matt93

matt93 Tank Driver Donor

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  3. FatherDeath2793

FatherDeath2793 RV Driver

I'll believe it when I see it.

4. Symphony4all

Symphony4all Bowman

Sure Jan, lmao.
    2025: How the human extinction could help the Rick movies begin its writing. Also how we could postpone something that will never happen.

5. Mtricky

Mtricky Ringleader Donor

Wait...I'm not even focused on the movies right now...So, if WB is not on until the Fall and then followed by FTWD...will TWD 10.16 be on right before the WB premiers??...when will we see ever Season 11?
    :rick-smh:

6. xyzw1234

xyzw1234 Hammer Wielder

As often said in ASOIAF, words are wind.

The pause at best (which is already implausible) doesn't delay the movie further, but it doesn't inherently resolve the many non-pandemic issues that caused the movies' production to stall.

KissTheZombie and Mtricky like this.
  7. TeddyWestside

I believe the plan is to air Fear S6A late August followed by World Beyond. (Whatever the logic behind that is?)

But i dont think we can expect season 11 this year.

Mtricky likes this.
  8. matt93

matt93 Tank Driver Donor

A slightly larger amount of people are bound to tune into the premiere of WB (casual viewers will likely have this misguided assumption that we’ll automatically learn something about Rick). Nobody gives a shit about Fear, especially after this last season. So airing 1016 alongside WB seems like a safer bet.

9. TeddyWestside

Thats why I firmly believe that 10x16 will air in the fall.

10. xyzw1234

xyzw1234 Hammer Wielder

With all due respect the question to ask is how many people still actually care about Rick. This sounds like an absurd question at first, but frankly Rick's departure left no detectable ripple in the viewership. Compare and contrast Michonne's, if one rightfully argues that most of the viewership was gone by s9 and beyond. Meanwhile an (admittedly rudimentary and by far not rigorous) comparison I did back in 2017 suggested that even by s7 and s8 Rick wasn't actually that popular as a whole.*

*Here was what I came up with for the show up to s8a. Higher number means more essential to viewership, aka presence will increase or maintain viewership while absence will decrease viewership absent other factors. Despite the primitive methodology I think I was pretty close to the mark regarding Carl, Michonne, possibly Maggie, and Morgan, while I've heard Kang significantly changed Daryl's characterisation in the post-timeskip era.

Rick: 11.97
    Daryl: 11.91
    Maggie: 12.03
    Carl: 12.13
    Michonne: 12.11
    Carol: 11.85
    Morgan: 11.92
    Negan: 11.98

11. matt93

matt93 Tank Driver Donor

Oh I absolutely agree that Rick’s departure had very little actual effect on the viewership and that it ultimately reflects on how Rick as a character worked so much because of his dynamics with Team Family. I was just making a point of how, compared to Fear which offers absolutely nothing to the vast majority, WB is more likely to draw a slightly larger amount of people in because of how it’s dangling that promise of a Rick reveal. The amount of people who do still give a shit about Rick is without a doubt larger than the amount of people who are legitimately invested in Fear lol

KissTheZombie likes this.
  12. xyzw1234

xyzw1234 Hammer Wielder

I do think it might draw a slightly larger amount of people, but do remember that the main show's viewership isn't that much higher than FTWD's these days, and Fear does have inertia going for it which the new show does not enjoy. This is why I think making it for only 2 seasons was one of TPTB's smarter decisions after 2015.

matt93 likes this.
  13. matt93

matt93 Tank Driver Donor

In Fear’s case, inertia has been doing a lot more harm than good (obviously the biggest understatement in the history of understatements lol) so that’s another advantage WB has and one more prime reason for AMC to want to air it alongside the main show’s finale.

KissTheZombie and xyzw1234 like this.
  14. Enchanting

Enchanting Hunter

How is the movie being put on hold even longer a good thing?

KissTheZombie likes this.
  15. Cracker

Cracker Hammer Wielder

The hope that we'd someday see Rick again and he wasn't killed off kept me from retiring from the viewership post S09E05. But I have to admit my interest in the movie(s) has wained as so much time has passed. My interest in following the show live post the upcoming finale has dimmed as well.

xyzw1234 likes this.