1. After several years of fun and mayhem, TSDF has closed permanently. For members, this remains a place to reminisce at old discussions and laugh at old shenanigans. For new friends who just found us, it can be an archive of reference to help you navigate your way through the TWD shows and Comics. We wish you well!

Article Chandler Riggs Opens Up About Carl’s Death on The Walking Dead

Discussion in 'Chandler Riggs' started by twdmojo, Jul 3, 2018.

1. twdmojo

twdmojo Mojo Donor

[​IMG]
    Johnny O'Dell Jul 02, 2018

Chandler Riggs isn’t bitter about his character Carl getting killed off The Walking Dead, but he was surprised when showrunner Scott Gimple broke the news to him last year. “We were doing rehearsals for (Episode 806) and then, after the rehearsals, Scott Gimple brought me in and then told me, he said, ‘That’s why you kind of act weird after you trip, because (the bite) happens,’” Riggs said at a Q&A panel at Fandemic Tour Sacramento over the weekend (reported by Comicbook.com).
    [​IMG]
    Fans were surprised to see Carl Grimes’ storyline conclude after a seemingly unnecessary run-in with walkers, but that’s how unpredictable life can be in a zombie apocalypse. The Mid-Season Premiere featured Carl dying from his bite wound in the sewers under Alexandria as Negan carried out a massive attack above.

But it turns out that Riggs didn’t know about all the action happening around his death. “I’m gonna be honest, when Scott told me how it happened, he didn’t mention the whole ‘Saviors blowing up all of Alexandria’ thing,” Riggs said. “He just kind of said I went to hide in the sewers and just die. I was like, ‘man, that does not sound cool at all.’”

Thankfully, it wasn’t long until Riggs was given contextual reassurances about Carl’s death. “But then, when I read episode eight, and I was like, ‘oh, okay, there’s huge explosions, there’s solar panels being blown up, churches blown up, houses exploding,’” he said. “I was like, ‘okay, that’s pretty cool, I’m satisfied.’”

[​IMG]

Although Carl’s death came as a shock, Riggs is at peace with the way his character left the show. “It’s more like an innocent way to go out,” Riggs said. “That’s kind of what Carl is really embodying in these last two episodes and really just kind of sums up Carl as a whole and proves that he knows that there is something after the war, it’s not just killing and killing and killing and killing. There’s got to be some sort of hope for Judith and for Maggie’s baby and everyone.” That hope will (mostly) be realized when The Walking Dead returns for Season 9 this Fall.

Catch more of Chandler Riggs’ quotes from the panel over at Comicbook.com.

https://www.skybound.com/shows/the-...pens-up-about-carls-death-on-the-walking-dead

2. bulbichu

bulbichu Judith's new babysitter Donor

Thank you @twdmojo !!

Even though I made peace with Chandler's departure because he seems happy with his post-TWD career. I'm still quite annoyed by the way he learned that Carl was going to die: 2 episodes before, really? I find it hard that obviously Gimple did not even clearly explained him the context of his last episode, he had to wait for the script to actually know how would be the last hours of Carl. (n)(n)

clems94, Wontlastaday, sister and 5 others like this.
  3. Bre Phillips

Bre Phillips Crimson Tide Chick Donor

Thank you @twdmojo ! Chandler is already twice the man Gimble is. Best wishes always for Chandler and I'm still waiting on the karma bus to run over Gimble's toes!:carl:

4. twdmojo

twdmojo Mojo Donor

You're welcome. :happy:
    I miss him!!

5. Bre Phillips

I miss him, too. Now with Rick and Maggie leaving, I bet Chandler is that one rabbit AMC wishes they could put back in their hat! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

sister, Niolle, bulbichu and 3 others like this.
  6. Stinkbug

Stinkbug Sheriff Donor

7. twdmojo

twdmojo Mojo Donor

8. Niolle

Niolle Ringleader

With Chandler no longer on the show there's no one who can win "best younger actor" award for AMC :LOL:

Vivianne, Stinkbug, bulbichu and 2 others like this.
  9. Bre Phillips

Yup. You're right! I bet Chandler was like " In your face, Gimble" when he won !!!!:twerky:

10. Leafy

Leafy Bowman

I completely 110 pcerent agree with you. I don't agree how on they handled it, and I don't agree with them removing Carl from the story, but Chandler seems happy with his musical career and having the time to go to gaming tournaments and go on tour for his music. I'm of the mind that he was probably a little... unhappy, if nothing else, for a while after, but he seems to have gotten a lot better. I mean, I did notice him spacing a bit in Talking Dead after his last episode, and he did seem to have a bit of distance in his interview smiles when people kept asking him how he felt about it, etc etc. I'm sure it was very difficult to go through with how much things exploded and he had to deal with it again (i.e. had to film it, say goodbye to everyone, and then dealt with it again when the episode aired). I think overall though he's been able to move on healthily. As someone who did attend one of his Eclipse concerts at a nightclub, I can say he definitely loves doing what he does right now and puts no less of effort into it.

As upset as I am about losing Carl, I want the absolute best for Chandler, and his happiness wherever his career takes him is a lot more important to me than a TV show. The good in his career right now outweighs the bad of losing Carl, and I'll always be ready to keep up with his new music or the next movies/shows he'll be in.
    Honestly, Gimple could never do all the shit Chandler manages to do. Chandler is seriously an amazing person. He's still acting, he's producing his own music and touring here and there, he seems to have enough interest in sociology and psychology based on things he's said about them that he might end up in that field someday, he was in public school taking AP classes before he lost his job on TWD afaik, and he ranked extremely high at an E3 Fortnite celeb competition, which means gaming exposure and, being an at least somewhat known name by now, has exposure from that in the gaming field. Despite all of that, he's still so genuine and sweet and still gets online and shitposts and has fun like anyone on the internet these days. Hell, he invites people to play games with him/his group(s) and tells them what the game/group password is so fans can join.

I mean, sorry Gimple, but you're not even a quarter of a quarter of the man Chandler is. I'm not about to say it's purely Gimple's fault Chandler was taken off the show (and I know about several different versions of the same overall rumor, so), but I will absolutely say he sucks at his job enough that he couldn't write off Carl in an even remotely sensibly way. Apocalypse veteran kid who grew up more or less with this life got too close to a walker, tripped, fell, and pushed a still moving walker onto his goddamn blind spot and didn't even make damn sure it was totally dead first? Gimple can't even do a good enough job with the job he has. Chandler, well, he's beyond fantastic to be able to do all of that and still be such a great, fun person.

Always wishing nothing but the best for Chandler, because he deserves it. <3

11. Niolle

Niolle Ringleader

:agree:

You're so right. Chandler is really an amazing person and he works so hard.

And the funny thing is - he hates Fortnite :LOL: He loves PUBG and is great in PUBG but when they invited him to join a Fortnite competition he trained for it for a couple of days and got a third place with his partner and won 250k$ for charity. He really can achieve anything he wants.

12. Leafy

Leafy Bowman

Omg, seriously though. He said in an XBox interview that he had put over 500 hours into PUBG and that was long enough that ago that that may have doubled by now.

See, that's exactly it though. He can do so many things he puts his mind to. He went into a really big E3 event (and E3 is MASSIVE), scored third place on the leaderboard with KittyPlays (and I mean, he did say he was nervous going to this competition, but after looking at the celeb list, I can see why), and he did it with more or less minimal amount of time.

I'm honestly amazed at how much he's capable of doing, and knowing he's just barely nineteen and doing all this is beyond incredible. I respect and admire him so much, and he's a massive inspiration to me seeing that someone so young can do all of this and still be such a great person.

13. Niolle

Niolle Ringleader

And he's getting so much praise for his sets. Brownies & Lemonade already booked him twice for their shows, and it's great for someone who started djing 4 months ago.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 10, 2018, Original Post Date: Jul 10, 2018 ---
    True. All his friends are saying that he's the kindest and the most hard-working person of them all.
    And Danai said the same :happy:

14. Leafy

Leafy Bowman

I mean I think TWD will always be a part of his life (it'skindahardforitnottobewhenyourmiddlenameisCarltonbut), but I'm really grateful he's been able to move on to different things and actually be happy doing so. I was definitely a bit worried about him for a little while, so seeing him the way he is now is definitely a huge relief, and seeing him interact with his fans when he can is so important for an actor.

I don't know if you've seen the panel he had with his mother, but he seems to have such an incredible support system, and his fans are, for the most part from what I understand, incredibly respectful of him.

Like okay, I love Norman and Andy and so many other actors. Presently I have no reason not to. The difference between Chandler and other actors is that I've seen so much from Chandler, in so many fields, and so much genuine humane behavior. Admittedly I think I'll always believe TWD is lacking without Carl and Chandler, but also, if he was still on the show, he'd have to be filming right now and I wouldn't have gotten to see him performing not too long ago at all. He also wouldn't have this time to explore other career paths he's interested in. All pros and cons considered, I'm happy if he's happy.

Edit: Also, his music is fantastic, and it's fabulous to listen to in person. :D

15. Wontlastaday

Wontlastaday Hammer Wielder

Ugh!

Me:

[​IMG]

Me: [​IMG]

16. Coltpython357

Coltpython357 Midnight toker Donor

Only the good die young

17. BowlFullOfAwesome

BowlFullOfAwesome Spoiler Team | #TSDFamily Spoiler Team Donor
    Spoiler/Social Media Stalker

[​IMG]

EaglesWings and Bre Phillips like this.
  18. Coltpython357

Coltpython357 Midnight toker Donor

And Hershel

19. Niolle

Niolle Ringleader

I love his music! And not because it's Chandler's, but because it's really good :happy:

20. Bre Phillips

Chandler has touched so many lives, and we're all the better for it. We love you, Baby Boy!:carl: