1. After several years of fun and mayhem, TSDF has closed permanently. For members, this remains a place to reminisce at old discussions and laugh at old shenanigans. For new friends who just found us, it can be an archive of reference to help you navigate your way through the TWD shows and Comics. We wish you well!

Article Chandler Riggs on Carl Grimes Being Replaced in ‘The Walking Dead’

Discussion in 'Chandler Riggs' started by Niolle, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Niolle

Niolle Ringleader

Former Carl Grimes actor Chandler Riggs, whose character was killed off midway through The Walking Dead Season Eight, says it will be “interesting” to see how the series realizes storylines that featured Carl in a pivotal role — namely the unique dynamic between Carl and an imprisoned Negan that will remain exclusive to comic books.

“I’m actually excited to kinda see what they do with it,” Riggs told ComicBook.com’s Brandon Davis during Walker Stalker Con Orlando. “But there was a lot that kind of rode on such a heavy relationship being built over the span of the war.”

Robert Kirkman’s comic book series saw Carl make covert visits with ousted Savior leader Negan, who was dethroned by Rick Grimes and imprisoned in the Alexandria jail.

Because Carl’s TV counterpart is six feet deep, the show will dole out Carl’s comic book storylines to other still-surviving characters as it adapts the overarching comic book story for Season Nine.

“I was actually really excited for the rest of Carl’s story arcs, but it will be interesting to see what they fill that gap with,” Riggs said.

Poised to one day succeed his father as leader, Carl goes on to become the apprentice of a Hilltop blacksmith and forms a relationship with 16-year-old Lydia — daughter of Alpha, the vicious leader of a new enemy group — with Castle Rock actress Cassady McClincy freshly cast in that role, and Samantha Morton (Minority Report) playing her barbaric and unforgiving mother.

“We’re committed to keep telling the story from the comic book. Yes, it’s going to be different. And yes, Negan's relationship to Carl was a big part of the story moving forward, especially in the world changes we see early on. But, as usual, we do plan on telling those comic stories,” executive producer Scott Gimple previously told EW.

“It just will have to be with different people and it’s a different way to tell those same stories. But we hope to still fulfill what those stories do.”

Negan actor Jeffrey Dean Morgan mourned the loss of the relationship during San Diego Comic-Con, telling Hall H attendees, “There was a whole story that Robert wrote that I was excited to play, and it didn’t pan out that way. It ended a bit abruptly.”

“I think that relationship brought out something in both characters that we don’t see in any other way,” he said. “Those character traits that Carl brought out in Negan, I hope they’re brought out some other way because I think that [contributed] a lot in humanizing Negan.”

Morgan said he’ll share more face time this season with characters he’s had little interaction with in the series thus far, hinting parts of the Negan-Carl relationship could be salvaged and played out through Daryl (Norman Reedus), Michonne (Danai Gurira), and Maggie (Lauren Cohan).

Also acting as a sort-of surrogate for the late Carl is Henry (Macsen Lintz), young ward of Kingdom leader King Ezekiel (Khary Payton), who is expected to adopt some of Carl’s up-for-grabs storylines — likely one day inheriting the Carl-Lydia romance.

Despite The Walking Dead foregoing the Carl-Negan dynamic, Riggs is hopeful the series will maintain the unconventional relationship between Negan and Whisperer leader Alpha as it played out in the comic books.

“I’m really excited for the whole Negan and Alpha thing, it’s gonna be fun to watch,” he said.

The Walking Dead will suffer another major shake-up with the looming exit of Rick Grimes actor Andrew Lincoln, who steps away from the series this season to spend more time with his young family — bringing an end to the Grimes era.

The Walking Dead returns Sunday, October 7 on AMC.

https://comicbook.com/thewalkingdea...ndler-riggs-carl-grimes-replaced-season-nine/

EaglesWings, Axel, Mtricky and 7 others like this.
  2. Coltpython357

Coltpython357 Midnight toker Donor

Yeah they screwed the whole Carl and Negan thing up big time. I'm glad JDM speaks up for Chandler.

Lovedsammy, HBelusky, Axel and 12 others like this.
  3. sister

sister Moderator ¸♥.•* Board Moderator Donor

Thanks for posting this :happy:

Totally called this - as did many others - when SG killed off Carl.
    :stop: (n) I feel that they should give Henry his own thing. I don't care about Henry as it is and making him Carl 2.0 is only going to make me resent him. Couple that with the loss of AL and LC, I just don't know...

Axel, Mtricky, Michaeldisco and 5 others like this.
  4. CherokeeRose42

CherokeeRose42 Bowman

I'm sorry, but Gimple is a complete asshole. It makes no sense - not from a creative standpoint.... not from any standpoint, to kill off Carl and replace him with someone we have no relationship with. It's stupid. What a mistake. It's disrespectful to the fans and it's disrespectful to Chandler.

Bethanie, HBelusky, Axel and 10 others like this.
  5. Walkerbait75

Walkerbait75 Grimes family and Connie Stan Donor

Chandler has always been a very positive person and is really mature for his age. Many would not handle this so well.

I really hate the idea that somehow Carl is being replaced by Henry when Carl was a character whose story spanned 8 seasons. You don't replace a major character by giving one storyline to someone else. It reduces Carl's character to just an eye lick story line to say that and diminishes the role he played in the story for 8 years. Carl was much more than that Lydia storyline.

6. nothardlynothalf

nothardlynothalf Triggered By Time Jumps Donor

Yeah, without Carl
    Show Spoiler
    Rick and Maggie
    this feels so pointless. I'm giving this season a chance, but my expectations are low.

7. TWDReigns

TWDReigns Bowman

Bless you Chandler, you are a great person. TWD didn't deserve you

HBelusky, sister, Mtricky and 5 others like this.
  8. Leafy

Leafy Bowman

I actually prefer Henry taking his storyline for this particular arc because I hate Carl's involvement in it under the specific concept of it being the same/too similar with the show's Carl/Chandler's Carl. Also though, it gives Henry a chance to develop and I'm not going to hate him for taking anything from Carl because then I'd already hate Rosita from season seven. I had a feeling Henry would take it anyway and they kind of made it glaringly obvious in 8x09.

Honestly though yeah, Chandler handled it really well. I wouldn't blame him if he still had any lingering aggravation about the whole thing because it honestly was really fucked up (he'd just bought a friggin' house near the set ffs, and they didn't tell him until they got the episode six script, so he knew about, what, a month-ish in advance based on how long it takes to film an episode?), but I know he's going to just be polite about the whole thing even if it has to be some white lying. Like, maybe he really is okay with it, and I do agree it's best for his career at this point (being on a sinking ship of a show, for example, or the fact that he's getting a lot further into his musical career and has already completed filming two other films), but I just wouldn't be surprised if he was just being mature and polite about it and still didn't appreciate what happened. He says Gimple was right in that it made sense for the story, but I still can't help feeling like that's just what he's saying to the media, because any of us here can easily say that was a horrible story turning point. The ratings would agree with us. Also, Gimple kept claiming Carl dying was necessary, blah blah, but the way they ended all out war was... exactly the same as in the comics, meaning Carl dying was absolutely not necessary. Naturally I don't expect Chandler to come out and say that if he does feel that way, and maybe he doesn't.

Forget us or TWD or AMC. This world isn't good enough for Chandler and I'm not sure what we did to deserve him.

9. Niolle

Niolle Ringleader

By the way, Chandler watched season 8 on Netflix yesterday :LOL: For the first time. He didn't watch season 8 when it aired.

clems94, HBelusky, Axel and 5 others like this.
  10. Leafy

Leafy Bowman

He still apparently has to go back and watch the whole series. He said something about not having watched the episodes since they first aired.

Go watch yourself be a tiny bab again, Chan.

11. Zane Olson

Zane Olson Lookout

Season 8 isn’t showing up on Netflix for me.

12. Niolle

Niolle Ringleader

Don't worry Chandler, no one can replace someone who's so cool

[​IMG]

HBelusky, Axel, sister and 2 others like this.
  13. Tuck868

Tuck868 Not a Guy™ Donor

This

Coltpython357 likes this.
  14. jack grazer

jack grazer Bowman

No one can replace Carl Grimes. Period.
    With that being said, something I've been thinking a lot on these last few days is how much I would've loved to see a bromance between Carl and Henry*. They could've been the Rick and Daryl of this "new" chapter...

Season 9 Filming (open)
    Considering the 5 years time jump. I bet Matt and Chandler would have a great chemistry working together.

Anyway, Chandler deserves the world.

15. Leafy

Leafy Bowman

Tbh I would've hoped more for Enid to have a bigger role in season nine, and if anyone was gonna replace Carl, part of me hoped it'd be Enid because she's been around for a while and has enough development that it's not just an asspull. I don't hate Henry, but him being thrown at this storyline is very random. As in, they basically just took a clean slate character - especially with the time skip, and filled the void. They could have and should have had a character at that age that we've had for a while take that spot, and Enid is the only one who could've (because the void took Mikey and never gave him back. Or maybe Ron killed him offscreen). I had a feeling it'd be Henry, but I just feel like Henry would up being an asspull replacement because they didn't know who else to use and probably didn't want to use a girl because of Lydia (but what about the lesbians).

Chandler is probably excited for the overall season nine storyline though. There's still a lot they can do without Carl, and I think ultimately I'm more aggravated at how Carl's situation was handled than the fact that they're swapping his storyline out with someone else (which again, like, I was fine with Rosita shooting at Negan and hitting Lucille because Carl's portions prior were worth it. This? This is not worth it).

16. Matt1983

Matt1983 Biter

Wow, first of all it broke my heart to have to go to 'past characters' to get to Chandler/Carl. Resent the show ten fold for killing him off in such a pathetic way. Giving this season a chance but my expectations are really low especially given two other high profile departures. The show is like a dead horse at the moment but still something for me to watch in the Autumn season, though won't be the same. I had hoped to see rumours of his return as we never saw the actual shot of Carl shooting himself, so could have misfired. The bite could have been a whisperer bite and the body they buried a decoy ha ha. Wishful thinking!

nothardlynothalf likes this.
  17. SunnyDaisy

SunnyDaisy Walker Bait

When they introduced Ben's character in The Kingdom, I pictured a future bromance between him and Carl. I thought they would have had a good Rick/Morgan or Rick/Daryl vibe, but Ben's character had to be sacrificed for Morgan's storyline, so that was the end of that.

It's going to be impossible for me to care about a Carl-less Carl Grimes storyline when I know how much more impactful or gripping it would have been if the character I was invested in for 8 years was still part of his own story.