1. After several years of fun and mayhem, TSDF has closed permanently. For members, this remains a place to reminisce at old discussions and laugh at old shenanigans. For new friends who just found us, it can be an archive of reference to help you navigate your way through the TWD shows and Comics. We wish you well!

Article ‘The Walking Dead’: Chandler Riggs Gives First Reaction to Andrew Lincoln Exit

Discussion in 'Chandler Riggs' started by BowlFullOfAwesome, Jun 24, 2018.

1. BowlFullOfAwesome

BowlFullOfAwesome Spoiler Team | #TSDFamily Spoiler Team Donor
    Spoiler/Social Media Stalker

‘The Walking Dead’: Chandler Riggs Gives First Reaction to Andrew Lincoln Exit
    By CAMERON BONOMOLO - June 24, 2018

Former The Walking Dead star Chandler Riggs says he was “surprised” to learn his on-screen dad Andrew Lincoln will be exiting the series halfway through its upcoming ninth season.

Asked by Good Day Sacramento if he was shocked by news of Lincoln’s departure, Riggs answered, “Of course, yeah.”

“I mean, Andy has been on the show for so long and he’s had to leave his family every single year, so I was surprised, but at the same time, it’s gonna be good for him to get back to his family and raise his kids,” Riggs said of the English actor, who has headlined the series since its 2010 debut.

The 18-year-old former Carl Grimes actor hasn’t yet talked to Lincoln about his decision to step away from Rick Grimes and The Walking Dead, saying, “I haven’t talked to him in months.”

Riggs exited the series midway through season 8 when Carl was revealed to have received an incurable walker bite that ultimately forced the teenager to shoot himself.

Six months after Carl Grimes’ death, Riggs told audiences at Walker Stalker Con Nashville he was “very surprised” when he learned Carl would be killed off.

“It was very surprising,” Riggs said. “Not something me or anyone would have expected.”

Riggs admitted in February then-showrunner Scott Gimple “didn’t mention” Carl would be dying in a meeting with Riggs and his parents ahead of production on season 8.

“Usually he doesn’t bring me in with my parents, usually,” Riggs told Entertainment Tonight. “I had actually talked with him months before, just like to lay out the season and everything, but he didn’t mention that.”

Despite his unexpected severance with the show after nearly eight full seasons, Riggs said it “just kind of made sense” for Carl’s death to happen “for the story and everyone else’s story.”

Unlike Riggs, Lincoln chose to leave The Walking Dead — and Carl’s death may have played a part in Lincoln’s choice to move on.

“I think that when we got the news that Carl was dying on the show — it certainly for me — it felt like very much a bookend of a much bigger journey that began in the hospital,” Lincoln told ComicBook.com in April.

“Searching for his wife and his son were the two engines that kept this man alive at the beginning of the show eight years. To lose the second engine that fueled him, at this point, certainly did feel, to me personally, not just the end of a chapter but a book, really.”

The Walking Dead returns with its ninth season this fall on AMC.

http://comicbook.com/thewalkingdead...-andrew-lincoln-exit-chandler-riggs-comments/

Scamp, Jamie Paris, Sjoh and 13 others like this.
  2. QueenOfSpades

QueenOfSpades RV Driver

Thank for posting Bowl!❤

Maybe he was just like us, caught by surprise but when we think better makes sense :LOL:

:frown:

3. BowlFullOfAwesome

Haven't talked in months? Didn't someone here say they were still super close :bored:

4. bulbichu

bulbichu Judith's new babysitter Donor

5. QueenOfSpades

QueenOfSpades RV Driver

Yeah... I remember that too:lock:

6. bulbichu

Holidays, family and filming for Andy, he probably did not have time. Chandler has also been very busy professionally lately. Perhaps neither has taken the time to give news for now.:happy:

7. QueenOfSpades

QueenOfSpades RV Driver

I'm surprised he was suprised lol

wanderfull, Kahlan79, clems94 and 3 others like this.
  8. TWD 4GR

TWD 4GR Content Manager -Mr. C's Personal Pink Robe Holder Content Manager Donor

Thanks for posting @BowlFullOfAwesome, very enlightening article.

Still doesn't make sense to me...

Me too!

lvpin, Niolle, Coltpython357 and 7 others like this.
  9. QueenOfSpades

QueenOfSpades RV Driver

I was not gonna comment about it, but yeah, same.

10. bulbichu

Me too! in one of his interviews after Carl's death, he said that Andy wanted to get closer to his family! So I naively thought that Andy had probably told him about his decision, and that without us knowing, he was already spoiling us the departure of Andy. But it was visibly just Chandler's speculation lol.

11. Deadfanjill

Deadfanjill Forever missing Rick Grimes Donor

The reporter said “Big mistake AMC” lol :LOL:

12. Walkerbait75

Walkerbait75 Grimes family and Connie Stan Donor

I think people mistake work closeness for life closeness. They don't understand that these people have whole ass lives outside of this show and that you can be close to a co worker but also lead seperate lives outside of work. I mean you can be close outside of work too but sometimes fans invent that aspect of the relationship. Unless there are receipts like with NR and JDM or Andy/Norman.. I just consider everyone cool coworkers and leave it at that.

Sjoh, lvpin, Tuck868 and 9 others like this.
  13. BowlFullOfAwesome

ah ok, thank you that makes sense :happy:

14. TWD 4GR

TWD 4GR Content Manager -Mr. C's Personal Pink Robe Holder Content Manager Donor

Also, Chandler was a kid so I'm sure if some cast members were hanging out (which we have seen on multiple occasions), Chandler probably wasn't invited, as much as they may have loved him.

15. Stinkbug

Stinkbug Sheriff Donor

Thanks for posting this @BowlFullOfAwesome .

Seeing Chandler makes me happy. :happy:

16. Coltpython357

Coltpython357 Midnight toker Donor

I doubt Chandler was too surprised. He seemed to hint at Andrew taking a powder in other interviews. I don't think any of the cast is too surprised. They were probably more caught off guard with Lauren if I had to guess.

Vivianne and Stinkbug like this.
  17. gojira

gojira シン・ゴジラ Donor

Thanks for posting this! Great to hear from Chandler again.

18. Niolle

Niolle Ringleader

So Andy didn't see him in London like he said in his song :frown:
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 25, 2018, Original Post Date: Jun 25, 2018 ---
    Yeah, but Andy came to his graduation party...
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 25, 2018 ---
    And if they haven't talked in months it means they didn't talk even when Carl's final episode aired...

lvpin, Stinkbug and darster like this.
  19. DeadWalkerT

DeadWalkerT King of Richonneville & #1 Judith and Rick Jr stan Donor

Maybe they didn't... They said all that was needed during filming.

20. lvpin

lvpin Bowman

This makes me sad
    [​IMG]
    Agree 100%. We know Andy and Chandler are close, but Andy has been at home, and when he got back to the states he was basically straight back to filming, right? And Chandler's been all over with his music, so I doubt they've had an opportunity to catch up.

clems94, Niolle and Stinkbug like this.